Tara Chettur Menon , is an intrepid journalist who has turned a spotlight on various issues such as environment , violence against women , child right issues , tribal forest land rights ,human trafficking and gender violence in her native India.
She has traveled across the country covering issues related with river pollution, women rights and discrimination against tribals.
Tara Chettur Menon started her career in 2004 with Star news Mumbai thereafter worked with various national media organizations in Bengaluru ,Mumbai and Madhya Pradesh .Her articles have been published in The Pioneer, Central Chronicle , Indian Express etc .
Subsequent to which moved to Dubai in 2005 did freelancing with local magazines in Dubai , Gulf today and Worked with media department in Immigration Management Consultancy firm in Dubai till 2011. After returning to India in 2012 she joined The Hitavada. The Hitavada has been Central India’s largest-selling English daily newspaper Published simultaneously from Nagpur, Jabalpur, Raipur and Bhopal
Her expertise is working extensively on special stories on environment, wildlife, women , Tribal rights ,human rights and development beats. Tara is currently a senior special correspondent with The Hitavada where her reporting focuses on women, children and marginalized groups often neglected by the mainstream media.
Tara holds a Masters degree in journalism from the Makhanlal Chaturvedi National University of Journalism and Communication, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh, India and is pursuing Phd in journalism.
Tara was awarded with many fellowships and awards for her story which made impact on society . In one of the awarded investigative story titled Dark Diwali she documented about tribal children. Tara writes about the disastrous impact of electricity shortage in a tribal community in Madhya Pradesh .shortage of teachers especially women teachers adds fuel to the fire as it prevents girl from attending the school.
Other awards includes Laadli media National ward and International Maja Koene social justice award for her persistent work on issues of marginalized sector. In one of her story she mentions about sanitation problems faced by women panchayat leaders in PESA (The Provisions of the Panchayats (Extension to Scheduled Areas) districts. Less number of toilets often made them to go into open ground to urinate .Later on action was taken on this and adequate toilet facility was provided .Her reports on child abuses , violation of child rights also has been taken by human rights commission .In one of her report on tubectomy botch up case the women complainant also got compensation for the issue .
She has also won fellowship with Centre for science and environment for her environmental report writing. She was felicitated by Madhya Pradesh biodiversity department, Child line, Lions club, Rotary club to name a few . Also got felicitated with child rights organizations working at national level .She has also participated in various national and international forums especially on the subject of gender justice and has received appreciation .
- 2014 – poem When it Rains gets selected for upcoming album by Attic productions , Leukerbad,Switzerland.
- 201o Poem titled “Movements “selected by anatrc exhibition held at London .
- 2009 Poem Take It Easy and Flirt makes it top charts of popular category in Dubai,UAE ( courtesy poem hunter/ poem about .com)
- Most popular poet in UAE under 30 categorized by Air show as per online public voting in Dubai
- 2009 Poems titled Take it Easy and As my pen moves selected as best poems in variations on theme show aired in KFAI (90.3 FM Minneapolis and K294AM 106.7 FM West St. Paul) is a radio station in Minnesota.
- 2009 Poems selected and recognised by Sudan youth club under Love poems category.
- 20o8 TV Show ( Family Games show ) done for Private Malayalam Channel ( Kairali TV),Dubai , UAE
- Story for Sony Tv Serial Aaahat ( Horror show ) selected and episode telecasted with due credit of script writing
- 2004 -Best Aids Awareness write up selected by South Indian bank under south zone category .
- (Best Actress for Drama .Script writing – University level -2001,National Youth festival participation ,Best Interzonal Award winner for Calicut university zonal festivals ( off stage category )-1997)
- 2001 Poems and Articles published in Indian Express under young writers wing